Mini resolutions for the willpower-less and short attention spanned.

Mini resolutions for the willpower-challenged and short-attention-spanned.

Friday, February 1, 2013

February Objectives

February, February.  This is a tricky one.  This is because I have, for the past few years, already had a February resolution:  No Booze.  NBIF, or Drybruary, as my charming and brilliant friend suggested, is now a standard resolution for me, and I've slowly persuaded a few others to come on board - more this year than ever.

Why do I do it?  It's good to go a month without booze.  See how you feel!  I genuinely feel less sluggish in the mornings by the end of it, and also virtuous and pleased with myself, which is not to be dismissed.  The first time I did it, I gave myself FIVE passes.  Then I slowly reduced the number of passes each NBIF, such that last year I had no passes - and for a Leap Year, no less!  Despite Valentine's Day and the Super Bowl.  I choose February because a) it's the shortest month; b) I can't do January because it's my significant other's birthday then - plus, that's too much of a shock to the system after December's excesses; and c) March is miserable and long and horrible, the worst month of the year, and the one in most need of booze.

All this is a precursor to saying that this month is breaking the rules because I have four goals, not three.  FOUR!  But I'm hoping to get them all done.  And the fourth one (listed first, confusingly, of course) is something that I already do.  I like to list it to get credit for it, that's all. 
  1. NBIF - as already explained. No passes for me this year.  ULP.  I see this as a spiritual, physical, health, soul, whatever resolution.  For real.
  2. Physical - BIKRAM.  I'm going to get sweaty and hot and stretchy, and try to do Bikram twice a week for the month. I love Bikram - it makes me feel light and tall and creates great posture, and if I can get my backside there, it will help.
  3. Cultural - We get The New Yorker.  I never read it.  We have STACKS of these bloody magazines piled up, all full of articles that I know I want to and should read, but just can't bring myself to actually read. So this month, my resolution is to take the mag on the train and read at least three articles - even if just the film reviews - from each of the magazines out during February.
  4. Environmental - the delightful and aforementioned Joanna put me onto the January Cure from Apartment Therapy, mentioning she might do it for February.  So I'm going to follow her lead and fill all those hours when I would usually be getting sozzled (joking, mum and dad and employer!) and do the January Cure in our place.  There are so many projects that we haven't done, little corners we want to sort out in our otherwise extremely lovely apartment; this is the boost and stimulation we need to do it!  This helps you do a little each day and get yourself into the great apartment you should have. 
What are your February goals?

1 comment:

  1. YES! Janu-ebruary Cure! I am so excited to buy flowers every weekend (I have a feeling I might love this more than cleaning the floors - but by GOD I need to clean the floors...)

    ReplyDelete